Data Science Building Swansea University
This new 2,900m2 research facility for the Health Informatics Department of Swansea University's College of Medicine sits alongside, and builds on the successes, of the Institute of Life Science Phase 1 and Phase 2, both which represent a collaborative venture co-locating several university research departments and private industries.
This scheme further progresses understanding of how medical data can be analysed and disseminated through the application of technology. The building is situated on the Singleton Park campus its principal aims are to:
- To create a state of the art low energy collaborative research facility that responds to a diverse and challenging brief.
- To create a landmark building for the University.
- To create a facility that compliments the ILS existing buildings, whilst having its own image and identity.
- To provide a secure facility within which analysis of sensitive data can be hosted.
- Provide a layout that is reconfigurable, adaptable to changing future scenarios.
The accommodation comprises:
- Open and cellular office based research accommodation.
- High security areas which allow the storage and analysis of sensitive NHS data.
- Flexible social space at ground floor to serve as "drop in" meeting and team areas.
- Dedicated meeting and presentation suite at roof level to take advance of the views towards Mumbles Head.