Institute of Life Science Phase 2
The Practice was awarded the contract for this second phase building further to the successful completion of ILS Phase 1, both projects having been procured under the EEC Contract using Option C (Target cost). This 7 storey, 6,000m2 building acts as a physical and symbolic link between the University and Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Trust.
The building consists of two principal components:
Sustainability features include:
• 90% of construction waste diverted from landfill
• Maximum available water credits achieved
• Low energy: ‘as built’ energy performance certificate score of 34 [B rated building].
• Connection to existing district heating network powered by a CHP system
• BREEAM accredited professional employed from RIBA Stage B through to handover.
- The centre for Nano Health, a research intensive unit located in a highly serviced low rise living
- A primarily naturally ventilated office and clinical research wing, housing bedded space and MRI & PET scanners along with 'The Hub' and 'The Hub' terrace, where all building users can meet and relax, is located on the fifth floor with magnificant views over the Swansea coastline.